Year 4 2021 - 2022
Welcome to Year 4
Miss Toomer and Mrs Henderson
Class Dojo is a great way for us to keep in touch with you. We post regular photos of the work we have been doing in school. There is also the option for you to upload things you've been doing at home. It's always great to see what you've been up to!
Our PE and swimming day is Friday. If it is Awareness Friday (non-uniform) please wear something appropiate for sports.
When it is not Awareness Friday, please can all Year 4 children come into school on this day in their PE Kit. If it is a cold day, the children may wear plain black or blue jogging bottoms. Please ensure that your child is dressed in the correct PE kit.
Please bring in a swimming kit with:
- a one-piece swimming costume, short trunks or swimming shorts
- a towel
- Swimming cap and goggles are optional but recommended
The Spring term's World Knowledge theme is ‘Let's go: Magical Adventures Await’. Over the term, we will be learning about the Ancient Greeks: Achievement and influence in History and River and Coasts in Geography. We will also be going on residential to PGL to take part in adventure activities.
Over the Spring term, we will be looking at Ancient Greek Myths. We will also be looking at the text Leo and the Gorgon's Curse to write our own Myth.
This is the blurb:
If you would like to find out more about the author, please click on the link below:
Over the coming weeks, we will be working on the following skills:
- Partitioning in a non-standard way
- Rounding to the nearest 10, 100 and 1000
- Problem solving with place value
Addition and Subtraction
- Two step problems in context
- Review of column addition and subtraction
Multiplication and Division
- Learning about factor pairs
- Reviewing our times tables to 12x tables
- Knowing that times tables are commutative
- Formal layout of multiplication
- Adding and subtracting fractions
- Divide numbers by 10 and 100
- Rounding to a whole number.
- Write decimals of tenths/hundredths
- Lines of symmetry in 2D shapes
- Co-ordinates in first quadrant, Plot points and draw sides for a polygon
- Read, write and convert between analogue and digital 12hr and 24hr
- Convert between different units of measure
- Interpret and present data
In Science we will be learning about 'States of Matter'. This will link with our world knowledge theme as we will concentrate on scientific investigation and discovery. As part of our Science, we will learn about the water cycle which will link to our 'River and Coasts' geography lessons.
Things to Remember in Year 4:
- P.E Friday with Mr Forbes
- Swimming Friday with Mr Forbes
- Homework set on Friday due for the following Wednesday
- Spelling Test on Wednesday
- Five reads due in on Friday and this is when the coloured 'tray' books will be changed
- Five Times Table Rockstar practise
- Home Read books are changed throughout the week
- Crickweb (Literacy and maths educational games) (KS2)
- Fun Brain (Maths, reading and spelling games) (KS1 & KS2)
- Learning Games for Kids (Spelling and word games) (KS1 & KS2)
- PrimaryGames.com (Spelling rules, incl. vowels, blends, plurals etc) (KS1 & KS2)
- ICT Games.com (Look, cover, check game) (KS1 & KS2)