Year 4 2020 - 2021
Year Four Teacher
Welcome to Year 4
Miss MacSween and Mrs McFetridge
HAPPY NEW YEAR!
We hope you had a fantastic Christmas holiday, it's so exciting to have you back for a fabulous new year!
Class Dojo is a great way for us to keep in touch with you. There is also the option for you to upload things you've been doing at home. It's always great to see what you've been up to!
Our PE day is Wednesday. Please can all Year 4 children come into school on this day in their PE Kit. If it is a cold day, the children may wear plain black or blue jogging bottoms. Please ensure that your child is dressed in the correct PE kit.
Over the coming weeks, we will be reading and working from a text called 'The Journey' by Francesca Sanna. In the Journey, the illustrations offer a powerful subtext to this emotive story which sensitively deals with why people might leave their homes and will subtly invite a discussion around refugees. Through immersion in the vehicle text, pupils will be well equipped to write their own emotive diaries, reflecting on the lives of the main characters. They will also create their own story of hope when writing a refugee narrative.
If you would like to find out more about our story, listen to the author talking about it by clicking on the image:
We will link our learning to our World Knowledge theme of 'Then... Now... And Beyond!' in which we will investigate the Ancient Civilsations of Egypt. We will write a diary from the point of view of Howard Carter, the British archaeologist, who made one of the richest and most-celebrated contributions to Egyptology: the discovery of the largely intact tomb of King Tutankhamen. How exciting!
Over the coming weeks, we will be working on the following skills:
- Recognise value of digits in 4 digit numbers
- Count in multiples of 6, 7, 9, 25, 1000
- Find 1000 more or less than given number
- Negative numbers
Addition and Subtraction
- Up to 4 digits using formal written column method
- Estimate and use inverse operations
Multiplication and Division
- Recall facts up to 12 x 12
- Multiply by 0 and 1
- Divide by 1
- Multiply 3 numbers together
- Families of equivalent fractions using diagrams
- Count up and down in hundredths, know dividing tenths by 10
Compare and classify geometric shapes inc quadrilaterals and triangles.
Compare angles and identify acute and obtuse angles
- Read, write and convert between analogue and digital 12hr and 24hr
- Roman numerals to XII
Our whole school theme this term is 'Then... Now... And Beyond...' Please click below to see our Spring Term Curriculum Map.
If there is anything you can help us with, please let Miss MacSween know!
- BBC Spellits (Spelling games) (KS2)
- BBC Bitesize (Spelling and grammar) (KS2)
- Arcademic Skill Builders (Literacy and maths games) (KS1 & KS2)
- Crickweb (Literacy and maths educational games) (KS2)
- Kids Spell (Create your own spelling lists & games) (KS1 & KS2)
- Fun Brain (Maths, reading and spelling games) (KS1 & KS2)
- Learning Games for Kids (Spelling and word games) (KS1 & KS2)
- Eduplace.com (Levelled spelling and vocabulary games) (KS1 & KS2)
- PrimaryGames.com (Spelling rules, incl. vowels, blends, plurals etc) (KS1 & KS2)
- ICT Games.com (Look, cover, check game) (KS1 & KS2)
- The Times Spelling Bee (Listen to a word and spell it) (KS2) (14 day trial: £1)
- Manythings.org (Aimed at ESL students but includes useful spelling & vocabulary games) (KS2)
- Spelling city (Vocabulary and spelling interactive activities, printable worksheets, games) (KS2)
Files to Download
Year 4: News items
There are no News items to display
Year 4: Blog items
There are no blog items to display
Year 4: Gallery items
There are no Gallery items to display
Year 4: Calendar items
There are no Calendar items to display