Year 4 2021 - 2022
Welcome to Year 4
Miss Toomer and Mrs Henderson
Class Dojo is a great way for us to keep in touch with you. There is also the option for you to upload things you've been doing at home. It's always great to see what you've been up to!
Our PE day is Wednesday. Please can all Year 4 children come into school on this day in their PE Kit. If it is a cold day, the children may wear plain black or blue jogging bottoms. Please ensure that your child is dressed in the correct PE kit.
The Autumn term's World Knowledge theme is ‘Wildlife Connections: Conservation in Action’. As part of this we will be working with Chester Zoo by taking part in their Wildlife Connections. Have a listen to the wildlife connections song to find out more:
As part of our World Knowledge, we will be studying the changes to transport and trade in Chester including some history about Chester Zoo. Our Geography will focus on world trade and it's affects on people.
Over the coming weeks, we will be reading and working from a text called ‘Leaf’ by Sandra Dieckmann.
This is the blurb:
When a polar bear washes up on the edge of the wild wood, the other animals fear and avoid him. Then one day, they watch as he attempts something incredible...
If you would like to find out more about our story, click on the image to go to a link to the author's page about her book:
Over the coming weeks, we will be working on the following skills:
- Recognise value of digits in 4 digit numbers
- Count in multiples of 6, 7, 9, 25, 1000
- Find 1000 more or less than given number
- Negative numbers
Addition and Subtraction
- Up to 4 digits using formal written column method
- Estimate and use inverse operations
Multiplication and Division
- Recall facts up to 12 x 12
- Multiply by 0 and 1
- Divide by 1
- Multiply 3 numbers together
- Families of equivalent fractions using diagrams
- Count up and down in hundredths, know dividing tenths by 10
Compare and classify geometric shapes inc quadrilaterals and triangles.
Compare angles and identify acute and obtuse angles
- Read, write and convert between analogue and digital 12hr and 24hr
In Science we will be learning about 'Living things and their habitats'. This will link with our world knowledge as we learn about animals habitats, animal classification and changing habitats.
Things to Remember in Year 4:
- P.E Wednesday with Mr Forbes
- Homework set on Friday due for the following Friday
- Five reads due in on Friday and this is when the coloured books will be changed.
- BBC Spellits (Spelling games) (KS2)
- BBC Bitesize (Spelling and grammar) (KS2)
- Arcademic Skill Builders (Literacy and maths games) (KS1 & KS2)
- Crickweb (Literacy and maths educational games) (KS2)
- Kids Spell (Create your own spelling lists & games) (KS1 & KS2)
- Fun Brain (Maths, reading and spelling games) (KS1 & KS2)
- Learning Games for Kids (Spelling and word games) (KS1 & KS2)
- Eduplace.com (Levelled spelling and vocabulary games) (KS1 & KS2)
- PrimaryGames.com (Spelling rules, incl. vowels, blends, plurals etc) (KS1 & KS2)
- ICT Games.com (Look, cover, check game) (KS1 & KS2)
- The Times Spelling Bee (Listen to a word and spell it) (KS2) (14 day trial: £1)
- Manythings.org (Aimed at ESL students but includes useful spelling & vocabulary games) (KS2)
- Spelling city (Vocabulary and spelling interactive activities, printable worksheets, games) (KS2)
Files to Download
Year 4: News items
There are no News items to display
Year 4: Gallery items
There are no Gallery items to display
Year 4: Calendar items
There are no Calendar items to display