Year 5 2020 - 2021
Year Five Teacher
Welcome to Year 5!
Mrs Meehan and Mrs Henderson.
Please remember to make sure you are signed up to Class Dojo to see what we have been learning about in class.
Our PE day is Wednesday morning. Please can all the children come into school on this day in their PE Kit. If it is a cold day, the children may wear plain black of blue jogging bottoms.
This term our school focus is on Migration: Incredible Journeys. We will be looking at how Chester has changed over many years and how its past has influenced our city now. This is a great local study which will enable us to learn more about our city as well as deepening our history and geography skills and knowledge. If you have any memories you would like to share about Chester and its changes then please email me email@example.com
This half term we are reading and working from a text called The Journey. It's a beautiful book about one family's journey to safety. We will be writing a narrative story as well as diary entries based on the book. We will cover grammar and spellings from the year 5 list as well as looking at root words, prefies, suffixes and word endings.
We start our maths by looking at place value and ensuring we are confident in our use of written methods for all four rules of number. We will also be working with fractions and 3D shape.
We will continue to focus on the speed and accuracy of our mental maths skills, our knowledge of our times tables, and using and applying our maths in problem solving and reasoning situations.
Don't forget to keep up with Times Table Rockstars.
This half term we are looking at life cycles and classification of living things. We will be doing lots of outdoor learning in our forest school area.
Our school Juniour Road safety Officers this year are Sonny and Ethan. I think they will do an amazing job.
- BBC Spellits (Spelling games) (KS2)
- BBC Bitesize (Spelling and grammar) (KS2)
- Arcademic Skill Builders (Literacy and maths games) (KS1 & KS2)
- Crickweb (Literacy and maths educational games) (KS2)
- Kids Spell (Create your own spelling lists & games) (KS1 & KS2)
- Fun Brain (Maths, reading and spelling games) (KS1 & KS2)
- Learning Games for Kids (Spelling and word games) (KS1 & KS2)
- Eduplace.com (Levelled spelling and vocabulary games) (KS1 & KS2)
- PrimaryGames.com (Spelling rules, incl. vowels, blends, plurals etc) (KS1 & KS2)
- ICT Games.com (Look, cover, check game) (KS1 & KS2)
- The Times Spelling Bee (Listen to a word and spell it) (KS2) (14 day trial: £1)
- Manythings.org (Aimed at ESL students but includes useful spelling & vocabulary games) (KS2)
- Spelling city (Vocabulary and spelling interactive activities, printable worksheets, games) (KS2)
Files to Download
Year 5: News items
There are no News items to display
Year 5: Blog items
There are no blog items to display
Year 5: Gallery items
There are no Gallery items to display
Year 5: Calendar items
There are no Calendar items to display