Year 5 2020 - 2021
Year Five Teacher
Welcome to Year 5!
Mrs Meehan and Mrs Henderson.
Welcome back to the Spring Term 2021
Thank you for all signing up to Class Dojo to see what we have been learning about in class.
Our PE day is Wednesday morning. Please can all the children come into school on this day in their PE Kit. If it is a cold day, the children may wear plain black of blue jogging bottoms.
This term our school focus is on Then, Now and Beyond. We will be learning about the ancient Greeks and their way of life, achievements and influence on the western world. Their stories, myths and legends are always great to read and so many things we have now can be traced back to this period in history. I'm sure we will also be able to get some amazing art work from this topic as well!
This half term we are reading and working from a text called The Promise. It's a beautiful book about one girls promise and how it changed the life of not only herself but of all the people around her. We will be writing diary entries, formal and informal letters and instructions. We continue to cover grammar and spellings from the year 5 list as well as looking at spelling patterns.
We will continue to focus on the speed and accuracy of our mental maths skills using fluency grids and on our knowledge of our times tables. Using and applying our maths skills in problem solving and reasoning situations is a main focus for this term. We will be covering statistics, decimals, volume and capacity and percentages.
Don't forget to keep up with Times Table Rockstars.
Earth and space is our first science topic. In this we will learn about how we have night and day, the earths movements and that of other planets and our moon.
Our school Juniour Road safety Officers this year are Sonny and Ethan. I think they will do an amazing job.
- BBC Spellits (Spelling games) (KS2)
- BBC Bitesize (Spelling and grammar) (KS2)
- Arcademic Skill Builders (Literacy and maths games) (KS1 & KS2)
- Crickweb (Literacy and maths educational games) (KS2)
- Kids Spell (Create your own spelling lists & games) (KS1 & KS2)
- Fun Brain (Maths, reading and spelling games) (KS1 & KS2)
- Learning Games for Kids (Spelling and word games) (KS1 & KS2)
- Eduplace.com (Levelled spelling and vocabulary games) (KS1 & KS2)
- PrimaryGames.com (Spelling rules, incl. vowels, blends, plurals etc) (KS1 & KS2)
- ICT Games.com (Look, cover, check game) (KS1 & KS2)
- The Times Spelling Bee (Listen to a word and spell it) (KS2) (14 day trial: £1)
- Manythings.org (Aimed at ESL students but includes useful spelling & vocabulary games) (KS2)
- Spelling city (Vocabulary and spelling interactive activities, printable worksheets, games) (KS2)
Files to Download
Year 5: News items
There are no News items to display
Year 5: Blog items
There are no blog items to display
Year 5: Gallery items
There are no Gallery items to display
Year 5: Calendar items
There are no Calendar items to display