Year 3 2021 - 2022
Welcome to Year 3 and Summer 2022
Miss MacSween, Mr Bull and Miss Beardsall
In English this half term, we will be reading an astonishing true story of Zeraffa, a giraffe who was sent as a gift from Egypt to France in 1826. A young boy, Atir, takes care of Zeraffa on her epic journey. In France, Atir leads her through the countryside, and thousands of people marvel at Zeraffa. The King builds her a special house in the Jardin des Plantes. On warm nights, the young princess visits, while Atir whispers stories to Zeraffa of a hot land far away.
Through this story of a giraffe’ s extraordinary voyage from Africa to Paris, the children will be learning how to:
- Use headings/subheadings to organise information in a non-fiction text
Use a range of simple, compound and complex sentences
Group related ideas into paragraphs
This term we are going to be focusing on the following:
- Measurement - measure, compare, add and subtract: lengths (m/cm/mm); mass (kg/g); volume/capacity (l/ml)
- Perimeter - measure the perimeter of simple 2-D shapes
- Money - add and subtract amounts of money to give change, using both £ and p in practical contexts
- Statistics - interpret and present data using bar charts, pictograms and tables
- Shape - Identify right angles, recognise that 2 right angles make a half-turn, 3 make three-quarters of a turn and 4 a complete turn; identify whether angles are greater than or less than a right angle. Identify horizontal and vertical lines and pairs of perpendicular and parallel lines
Don't forget to log onto Mathletics and Timestables Rockstars to gain a personal best or
compete against other children in our class or from around the world.
This term, our whole school Learning in Context theme is
Hourglass: Sands of Time
In Year 3, we will be focussing on developing our understanding of the impact Ancient Civilsations have on our lives - looking particularly at the Ancient Egyptians!
We will investigate two BIG questions:
How can we explore the wonders of Ancient Egypt?
Is it ever okay to take someone else’s property?
Do you know anything about Ancient Egypt or Modern-day Egypt? Please share it with us!
In Computing, we are practising our typing skills and seeing if we can develop the skill of 'touch typing'.
Click on the keyboard above to have a go!
Year 3 will be having PE every Friday afternoon this half term - don't forget to send your child with their swimming kit including swiming costume / shorts / trunks, towel and googles if needed.
We may also have additional PE on a Friday morning, so please make sure that your own clothes on Awareness Friday are suitable for PE.
Homework will be handed out on Fridays and is due in on Wednesday the following week.
5 Reads are due in on Fridays and this is when books will be changed.
- BBC Spellits (Spelling games) (KS2)
- BBC Bitesize (Spelling and grammar) (KS2)
- Arcademic Skill Builders (Literacy and maths games) (KS1 & KS2)
- Crickweb (Literacy and maths educational games) (KS2)
- Kids Spell (Create your own spelling lists & games) (KS1 & KS2)
- Fun Brain (Maths, reading and spelling games) (KS1 & KS2)
- Learning Games for Kids (Spelling and word games) (KS1 & KS2)
- Eduplace.com (Levelled spelling and vocabulary games) (KS1 & KS2)
- PrimaryGames.com (Spelling rules, incl. vowels, blends, plurals etc) (KS1 & KS2)
- ICT Games.com (Look, cover, check game) (KS1 & KS2)
- The Times Spelling Bee (Listen to a word and spell it) (KS2) (14 day trial: £1)
- Manythings.org (Aimed at ESL students but includes useful spelling & vocabulary games) (KS2)
- Spelling city (Vocabulary and spelling interactive activities, printable worksheets, games) (KS2)