Year 3 2023 - 2024
Welcome to Year 3
Mrs Coyne and Miss Beardsall
In English this half term, we will be travelling back in time with The Stone Age Boy by Satoshi Kitamura. A young boy falls into the past and befriends Om, a girl who is not like anyone he has ever met before. Om shows the boy how people lived in the Stone Age and they embark on an adventure which shapes the boys future.
As writers, we will be writing in present and past tense and examining the lives of Stone Age people.
This term we are going to be focusing on the following:
- Measurement - measure, compare, add and subtract: lengths (m/cm/mm); mass (kg/g); volume/capacity (l/ml)
- Perimeter - measure the perimeter of simple 2-D shapes
- Money - add and subtract amounts of money to give change, using both £ and p in practical contexts
- Statistics - interpret and present data using bar charts, pictograms and tables
- Shape - Identify right angles, recognise that 2 right angles make a half-turn, 3 make three-quarters of a turn and 4 a complete turn; identify whether angles are greater than or less than a right angle. Identify horizontal and vertical lines and pairs of perpendicular and parallel lines
Don't forget to log onto Mathletics and Timestables Rockstars to gain a personal best or
compete against other children in our class or from around the world.
This term, our whole school Learning in Context theme is
Voyage: Around the world in 80 days.
In Year 3, we will be focussing on developing our understanding of the Stone Age period and how our lives are connected to people in the past.
We will investigate three BIG questions:
Why do people choose to settle in certain place?
How do people leave their mark on the world?
We are starting the year with our online detectives module. We will be learning how to stay safe online and how to locate information we need safely.
In Computing, we have been practising our typing skills and seeing if we can develop the skill of 'touch typing'.
Click on the keyboard above to have a go!
We are lucky to have Ms McHale coming into school to teach us glockenspeil every Thursday.
Year 3 will be having PE every Wednesday afternoon this half term - don't forget to send your child with their correct kit!
Homework will be handed out on Wednesdays and is due in on Mondayy the following week.
5 Reads are due in on Mondays and this is when books will be changed.
- BBC Spellits (Spelling games) (KS2)
- BBC Bitesize (Spelling and grammar) (KS2)
- Arcademic Skill Builders (Literacy and maths games) (KS1 & KS2)
- Crickweb (Literacy and maths educational games) (KS2)
- Kids Spell (Create your own spelling lists & games) (KS1 & KS2)
- Fun Brain (Maths, reading and spelling games) (KS1 & KS2)
- Learning Games for Kids (Spelling and word games) (KS1 & KS2)
- Eduplace.com (Levelled spelling and vocabulary games) (KS1 & KS2)
- PrimaryGames.com (Spelling rules, incl. vowels, blends, plurals etc) (KS1 & KS2)
- ICT Games.com (Look, cover, check game) (KS1 & KS2)
- The Times Spelling Bee (Listen to a word and spell it) (KS2) (14 day trial: £1)
- Manythings.org (Aimed at ESL students but includes useful spelling & vocabulary games) (KS2)
- Spelling city (Vocabulary and spelling interactive activities, printable worksheets, games) (KS2)
Files to Download
Year 3: Gallery items
There are no Gallery items to display