Year 6 2023 - 2024
Welcome to Year 6
Miss Chard, Mrs Falvey and Mrs Henderson
Please remember to make sure you are signed up to Class Dojo to keep up to date with any messages and to see what we have been up to in school.
The Autumn term's context for learning is 'The Legacy of Adventure: Myths, Marvels and Mayhem.'
Star of Fear, Star of Hope
This half term we will be studying the text Star of Fear, Star of Hope by Jo Hoestlandt. Set during the World War II Nazi occupation of France, this is a powerful story of friendship, fear, and the hope we must always hold dear.
Whilst studying this text, we will write a flashback tale exploring different perspectives within a story.
During this unit we will work on several key skills:
- Using a wide range of cohesive devices (adverbs, conjunctions, pronouns and synonyms)
- Describe characters, setting and atmosphere
- Integrate dialogue in narratives to convey character and advance the action
- Using expanded noun phrases
- Use modal verbs and adverbs to show degrees of possibility
- Use hyphens
- Use relative clauses
- Use brackets, dashes and commas for parenthesis
Click on any of the bullet points above to read more about each key skill.
For our class text, we will be reading When the Sky Falls.
Take a read of the synopsis written on Love Reading for Kids below:
'No wonder he is angry! Bombs are raining down on the city that Joseph is sent to as an evacuee. And anyway, who came up with the stupid idea that he should live with Mrs F. who doesn’t even like children! He knows he should just run away but where would he go?
Instead, he finds himself inexorably drawn into Mrs F‘s life and the zoo and the animals she is fighting to keep safe – in particular, Adonis, the powerful silverback gorilla. Every night when the bombs fall, Mrs F rushes to the zoo. She risks her life to be with her animals safe knowing that, if the very worst happens and the zoo is bombed she will have to take exceptional and radical action. Will she be brave enough? And would Joseph be?'
Over the coming weeks, we will be covering the following topics:
- Place Value - Read, write and order numbers.
- Use negative numbers.
- Algebra - number sequences.
- Multiplication - formal method.
- Division - formal methods.
- Fractions - Compare, order and simplify.
- Measures - Calculate area and perimeter of triangles and parallelograms.
Click on any of the bullet points above to read more about each key skill
Remember, you can also log onto Times Tables Rockstars at any time - www.ttrockstars.com to keep up with your times tables fluency.
In Science this term, we will be studying 'Electricity'
Key concepts in Electricity:
- Associate the brightness of a lamp or the volume of a buzzer with the number and voltage of cells used in the circuit.
- Compare and give reasons for variations in how components function, including the brightness of bulbs, the loudness of buzzers and the on/off position of switches.
- Use recognised symbols when representing a simple circuit in a diagram.
We will have PE on a Wednesday this half term. Please make sure that you are wearing your PE kit on this day.
We will have swimming this half term on a Thursday. Please make sure that you have your swimming kit in on this day.
Homework will be set every Wednesday
Homework is to be completed and handed in every Monday
Weekly five reads signed in reading diaries and be in each Monday
Spelling test will be on Tuesday
PE day is Wednesday
Swimming day is Thursday
Files to Download
Year 6: Gallery items
There are no Gallery items to display